Maybe eating some Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream Frosting sounds a little unconventional, but they are good!
By using a boxed cake mix, you save time. Adding avocado gives your dessert a powerful nutrition punch with a smooth, tasty flavor you’ll have to try to believe.
I think this would be a really cute way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day by sneaking in a little extra green. You could even add a few drops of green food coloring to the frosting if you want to get a little festive.
Get creative and enjoy!
Easy Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes
- Boxed chocolate cake mix and the ingredients it calls for minus oil (or substitute by using your favorite chocolate cake recipe)
- 1/3 C. Ripe avocado, mashed (to replace the 1/3 C. oil)
- Follow directions on box, omitting oil and replacing equal amount of mashed avocado.
- Reduce baking time by 5 minutes.
- Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Avocado Buttercream Frosting
- 5 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 Stick of butter, softened
- 1 Ripe avocado, mashed
- 3 Tbsp milk
*See notes below.
- Using a stand or electric mixer, combine butter and avocado until combined and smooth.
- Slowly add powdered sugar. Adding milk to the consistency you desire.
Notes: If desired, you could replace some of the milk with lemon juice and even replace the butter with another avocado. This would make it taste a little less like a buttercream frosting, but would be unique and still quite tasty.
This frosting lends itself well to the addition of flavor extracts. A little vanilla, almond, or even mint or a citrus extract would go well with the chocolate cupcake to really elevate your tasty treat.
Have you ever tried avocado in a dessert?
I would love to hear about other recipes you snuck this yummy ingredient into!
While you’re here, be sure to check out these St. Patrick’s Day Lesson Plans and activity ideas.