I am always on the look out for easy recipes that don’t cost a ton. One day, out of desperation, I was forced to make something out of just what I had on hand for several days straight. I came up with this easy one pot dish recipe for my family of picky, young eaters, and it was a hit!
I just used some inexpensive bratwurst from my deep freeze that I’d bought when it was marked down to .99 a package, as well as some cheap pantry staples that I had on hand at the time.
There are many ways to customize the recipe, including swapping the meat for something else or choosing your own favorite vegetables.
This recipe only requires 4 ingredients (plus salt and pepper), but I’ve found that adding shredded cheese on top can really take it to the next ooey, gooey level.
Brats, Beans, and Potatoes Recipe
- 1 package of bratwurst – You can also use Italian sausage, kielbasa, etc. The more flavorful your meat, the more complex and delicious your recipe will be!
- 2-3 white potatoes
- 2 cans of green beans
- 1 can “cream of” soup – I used Cream of Chicken, but cream of mushroom or even a golden cheddar variety would be delicious!
- 1/2-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese – (Optional and not pictured)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Remove your bratwurst (or other meat) from their casings. Begin browning them in a very large skillet over medium heat. You can also start using a spoon to “crumble” it to bite sized pieces.
2. Peel your potatoes and dice them or chop them into bite sized pieces. Add them to the skillet while your meat is browning.
3. Continue cooking the meat and potatoes together on medium heat until the potatoes start to look translucent and begin to brown slightly. Test a few pieces of the potatoes to make sure that they are tender enough and that your spoon can easily slice through it. If your meat is especially greasy, you may want to drain it after the potatoes have pan-fried in it.
4. Open and drain your cans of green beans. Lower the heat to low or low-medium and add both cans of beans to the skillet. Stir.
5. Add your can of soup to the skillet and stir again. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Heat until all ingredients are warm and ready to serve!
6. (Optional, but recommended) Top with shredded cheddar cheese and allow it to melt before dishing out the meal.
Next time you’re looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal, look no further than this simple family favorite!