This week has been a whirlwind! It seems like most weeks are with a family of 7. Having a new baby is not for the faint of heart, but we all know it’s totally worth it.
This week, we had more hits than usual. I’m grateful for that, because usually I spend a ton of time making things and only one kid likes it, or my husband scoffs. Not this week. Woohoo!
Southwest Casserole with Cornbread
This is so good served with sour cream and shredded cheese as a garnish. Alternatively, you could add some shredded cheddar cheese below the cornbread layer if you want!
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 1 Tbsp dried minced onions or up to 1/2 cup fresh or frozen diced onions
- 1 package taco seasoning (and 1/2 cup water)
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread (plus ingredients to make it – 1 egg, 1/3 c milk)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In an 8×8 baking dish, spread the can of refried beans along the bottom.
- In a skillet, brown the ground turkey or beef with the onions. Drain and return to the stove.
- Add the taco seasoning packet and 1/2 cup of water and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Spread the ground meat mixture on top of the refried beans.
- In a small bowl, prepare the cornbread according to the instructions on the box. Gently poor it over the meat mixture or spoon into drops on top.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the cornbread is beginning to get golden brown on top.
Fruit Salad Mix
This is more of a guideline and mix than a recipe. I had a mom’s night out last Saturday and wanted to take something healthy since I’m working on losing my baby weight. Anyway, I put it in my Fresh Fruit bowl from Good Cook and it worked perfectly because the bowl is huge and strains out water so the fruit isn’t sitting in it forever. This lasted us a good 4 days and nothing was soggy and gross.
I put the following in there:
- 1 cantaloupe, cut up into bite sized pieces
- 1 carton of blueberries
- 1 carton of blackberries
- 1 carton of raspberries
- 1 carton of strawberries, tops removed and sliced into about 4 slices per berry
- 2 cans of diced pineapple, drained
- 1 large can of mandarin oranges, drained
- 6 kiwis, peeled and sliced
Black Bean Soup
My daughter told me to keep this recipe, so you know it must have been good! We garnished with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.
Black Bean Soup
- 3 cans black beans, drained
- 1 carton (about 4 cups) chicken, beef, or vegetable stock or broth (we used veggie)
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes (could use Rotel or regular diced tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp minced dried onion flakes or 1/2 cup fresh or frozen onions
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1-2 Tbsp cumin (to taste)
- 1tsp-1 Tbsp chili powder (to taste… we did closer to 1 tsp for my kiddos)
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for at least 30 minutes. If you want the flavors to meld longer, simmer up to an hour longer on low.