As far back as I can remember, my grandmother made old fashioned blueberry muffins on a pretty regular basis. She would make dozens of them at a time and send them to work with my grandfather to share with the guys out in the oil field and in the offices. She put a lot of love into those muffins, and he would happily share them.
I’m willing to bet that once you try this recipe, you’ll find that you put a lot of love into these old fashioned blueberry muffins, too. It isn’t the exact recipe that my grandmother made, but they certainly are bursting with blueberries and will make any breakfast feel special.
Old Fashioned Blueberry Muffins
This recipe makes 12 regular sized or 6 jumbo muffins.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Meanwhile, grease muffin tins or use paper liners and set aside.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to blend. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg for about 20 seconds.
5. Add the sugar to the whisked egg and whisk vigorously for 30 seconds.
6. Add the softened butter, a little at a time, to the wet mixture and whisk to combine after each addition.
7. Add 1/2 of the sour cream to the wet mixture and whisk until blended. Repeat with remaining sour cream.
8. Gently add the blueberries to the dry mixture and toss lightly until well combined.
9. Add the wet mixture to the blueberries and gently fold with a rubber spatula until the blueberries are evenly distributed.
NOTE: Expect the batter to be very thick. Do not over mix!
10. Fill the muffin tins with the batter. Spray a spoon with nonstick cooking spray before spooning the batter into the tins to make it easier.
11. Bake 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, rotating the pan half way through.
12. Cool muffins in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
13. Remove muffins from pan and let cool on the wire rack for additional 5 minutes before enjoying.
What do old fashioned blueberry muffins remind you of? Create new memories for yourself and your loved ones with these!