Snacking is an important part of my diet. It always has been. When I went paleo, I knew I’d have to come up with some tasty snack options or I’d never stick to it. Whether it’s on the go, while watching TV, or to curb cravings, these snacks will delight.
Perfect Paleo Snacks
I’m sure you can guess what I’m about to suggest. Fresh fruits and vegetables, seeds, and nuts. These will provide you the simplest, purest paleo snacks for certain. Be sure to choose varieties with no extra sugar or “bad” oils (soybean, cottonseed, canola, corn, and the like). You’d think that would be a no-brainer, but just check those labels on the seeds and nuts and you’ll see what I mean!
Mix It Up
There are so many ways to snack by combining your favorite things. My favorite ways to mix it up for a paleo snack are:
- sliced apples with almond butter
- nuts dusted with cocoa and/or cinnamon – sometimes I add raisins to the mix
- paleo mug cake – literally takes minutes to prepare
- a leaf of lettuce dipped in guacamole
- veggie chips (watch the ingredients – I’m talking about dehydrated slices of vegetables here)
- all fruit or veggie smoothies – and feel free to add in some healthy fat like coconut oil or flax seeds
- sliced bananas topped with almond butter and unsweetened shredded coconut
- A few small squares of high cocoa content chocolate (85% and up is best)
- trail mix (again, watch the sugars and steer clear of peanut varieties – or make your own!)
- hardboiled eggs
- tuna, chicken, turkey, or egg salad using avocado or guacamole instead of mayo (or use homemade mayo)
- celery with nut butter – this is also tasty sprinkled with dried fruit or coconut flakes
It’s Getting Complicated
Unless you’re made of money or have gone pretty hardcore (which I absolutely admire and aspire to!), chances are you’re not buying completely unsweetened lunch meats and jerkies or unprocessed coconut or almond milks. Obviously, each of those things could be homemade, but I don’t know many people that make them all themselves.
If you’re practicing poor man’s paleo and have made peace with yourself ingesting small quantities of bad things, there are some snacking options that can still be quick and easy for you. Keep in mind that if you’re constantly eating the processed stuff with sugars or bad oils in them all day long, it’s not a very clean way to eat. I highly suggest fresh, unprocessed or homemade foods as most of your diet.
Here are my ‘sometimes’ suggestions:
- lunch meat wrapped around pickle spears
- coconut milk or almond milk blended with frozen bananas, spinach, and berries for a tasty smoothie
- any kind of jerky (watch out for corn syrup additives, but again…use your own judgement)
- sweet potato chips (complicated because of the oils often used) – with or without guacamole or salsa
- lunch meat wrapped in leaf lettuce (I like mine with guacamole, too!)
- bacon – Yes, it makes a great snack. 🙂
Are you a snacker too? There are so many options!