Making your own cosmetics doesn’t have to be hard. My daughter recently became interested in giving it a try herself, and she is just 9 years old. This crayon lipstick was made upon her insistence, and she wanted to share it with all of my readers, too.
You will need:
- 1 new crayon, in whichever shade you prefer – Crayola works best as it has great pigmentation and is higher quality.
- 1/2 tsp (heaping) of coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp petroleum jelly
- a container with a lid for your finished product (we used a pill holder)
- a small saucepan, filled about half way with water
- a small glass bowl or jar
To make your DIY Crayon Lipstick:
1. Begin by peeling your crayon’s wrapper off and then breaking it into a few pieces so it will melt faster.
2. Meanwhile, heat your saucepan (which is halfway full of water) to medium heat.
3. In your small jar or glass bowl, dump your heaping 1/2 tsp of coconut oil and 1/4 tsp petroluem jelly, and add your crayon pieces. Place the container in your pre-heated water bath in the saucepan.
4. Stir frequently to help mix the ingredients and ensure that nothing burns. It won’t take very long for everything to melt completely.
5. Once your mixture is completely melted, turn off the heat and carefully remove your glass container from the saucepan. Very carefully pour the mixture into your lipstick container (we used a pill case).
6. Refrigerate your new lipstick, with the lid off, for at least 10 minutes.
7. Once the mixture has hardened, it is read to use! My daughter uses a lip brush to apply hers. Note that it will be very hard when it is cold, but will have a softer texture once it gets back to room temperature.
You’ve just made your own DIY crayon lipstick!!
If you liked this easy craft, please share it with others!
This would make an awesome DIY craft for a girl’s birthday party or sleepover spa night. It is inexpensive and doesn’t take very long to do at all.