Slime is all the rage! Create your own DIY foamy root beer float slime with your kids of all ages. Try this new twist on slime with a creamy, foamy layer right on top of a root beer scented, beaded layer. That’s right, you’re making 2 different slime recipes and putting them together to resemble one of your favorite childhood treats. Store in a cute mason jar glass for a fun presentation.
Foamy Root Beer Float Slime DIY Recipe
You Will Need the Following Supplies
Note: If you or your children will be making lots of slime recipes, consider buying your glue in BULK. It’s way cheaper per ounce than the little bottles unless you get in on some of those amazing back to school glue deals for the little bottles.
For the White, Foamy Slime:
- 1 ⅓ cup white glue
- 1 tbsp + 2 ⅓ tsp Instant Snow (affiliate link)
- ⅓ cup Sta-Flo liquid starch (affiliate link)
- ⅓ cup water, hot
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shaving cream (optional)
- 2 containers
- vanilla extract (optional, but makes it smell more realistic)
For the Root Beer Slime:
- 1 5oz container clear glue (affiliate link)
- 1 cup hot water
- ⅓ tsp borax
- ¼ cup room temperature water
- 1 tsp root beer extract (affiliate link)
- Brown food coloring (the gel works great and a little goes a LONG way)
- White foam beads (affiliate link)
- 2 containers
You will also need a container to store the final result. Mason jars make this especially cute!
White, Foamy Slime Layer
This layer will be thick and not as stretchy as the root beer slime. Do not be alarmed, that’s how it’s supposed to be!
- Pour the white glue into a container and slowly add the Sta-Flo one teaspoon at a time, mixing between each teaspoon. If you need to, you can use a little more or less to your liking. The Sta-Flo liquid starch is your activator.
- Add in ½-1 tsp baking powder (if needed) to make it a little less sticky.
- If you want the top scented, add a few drops of vanilla extract.
- Knead your slime.
- In a second bowl, pour in the instant snow and add the hot water. This mixture will expand and ‘puff’ to 4-5 times its intial size.
- Add the instant snow/water mixture to the white slime and knead well.
- Set aside as you make the Root Beer Slime Layer.
Root Beer Slime Layer
- Pour 1 cup of hot water into a clean, dry container.
- Add ⅓ tsp of borax and mix well.
- Fill a second bowl or container with ¼ cup room temperature water.
- Squeeze in an entire bottle (5 oz) of clear glue and swirl in brown food coloring until you get the desired root beer color.
- Pour 1 tsp root beer extract into the glue mix to scent it.
- Add a few white foam beads to the mixture to look like carbonation in your root beer and mix together. A little goes a long way, so don’t go too crazy with it.
- Pour the glue mixture into the water and borax mixture.
- Let this sit for 30 seconds. The slime will begin to form.
- Rinse your glue container quickly, or get a third container. Remove the slime from the water and place into your clean container.
- Knead the completed slime.
To make a root beer float, put the brown slime first into your container and top with the white, foamy slime.