These football cupcakes are adorable! Make them for a night with friends as you watch a big game, or make them up for your favorite little football star and their friends. Either way, they’ll be so glad you took the time to make something so cute and delicious.
Football Cupcakes for the Big Game
Makes 22 Cupcakes
1 box of French Vanilla cake mix
3 large eggs room temp
1/2 C of softened unsalted sweet cream butter
1 C whole milk
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
Football cupcake wrappers or liners (see note below)
White cupcake liners (optional, use if you will be using cupcake wrappers at the end)
Your local party or craft store will probably have some awesome options for cupcake liners or cupcake wrappers. If you are more the shop online type, here are some ideas for cupcake wrappers (all affiliate links): Football cupcake wrappers, sports fanatic wrappers, sports fanatic wrappers.
To Make Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line cupcake pans with the white cupcake liners if using cupcake wrappers at the end, or the actual football-themed liners if using those.
- In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, butter, milk, and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in the oven for about 21 minutes.
- Pull out the cupcakes and allow to cool before frosting.
1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
2 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3-5 TBSP heavy whipping cream
Green gel food coloring
1 disposable piping bag with a grass tip
1 package of football toppers (see note below)
To Make Frosting:
- Using a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on medium speed.
- Mix until you see stiffed peaks in your frosting.
- Mix in a few drops of the green food coloring and continue to mix until fully combined.
- Scoop frosting into piping bag.
If using foot-ball themed cupcake wrappers, you can wrap your cupcakes at this stage or after decorating, whichever you prefer!
- Place the piping bag straight up onto the cupcake.
- Lightly squeeze the piping bag to create a small dot and pull up to create a grass effect.
- Repeat steps to completely cover the top of the cupcake.
- Place a football decoration into the frosting.
Note: There are many choices for footballs to top your cupcakes. The ones pictured were found at a local store, but if you are shopping online, look at the following ideas (ther are affiliate links):