Summertime makes me immediately think about fresh berries and sweet treats, so these yummy strawberry shortcake cupcakes are a natural fit. This recipe would make the perfect cupcake for a child’s birthday party, a baby shower, an afternoon playdate, or just because.
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Choosing pretty pink cupcake liners adds to the fun for the presentation of these cupcakes. They’re just pretty in pink, don’t you think?
*1 cup of all purpose flour
*2 Tbsp cornstarch
*1 tsp baking soda
*dash of salt
*1/2 cup sugar
*2 large eggs
*2 tsp vanilla extract
*1/4 cup vegetable oil
*1/4 cup melted butter (at room temp)
*1/2 cup buttermilk
*1/2 cup diced strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with liners.
2. Into a large mixing bowl, add flour, corn starch, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a different bowl and using an electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla until fluffy.
4. Add in vegetable oil and butter to the sugar mixture until well mixed.
5. Add dry ingredients to the wet mix slowly on medium speed.
6. Add in strawberries and lightly mix until all combined.
7. Scoop batter into your cupcake liners, filling only 3/4 of the way full.
8. Bake 15-18 minutes until you insert a toothpick in the center of a cupcake and it comes out clean of batter.
9. Remove from oven and let cool for 2 hours before frosting.
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
This is optional, of course, but makes them pop even more with fresh berries and a pretty pink color.
Strawberry Buttercream Ingredients:
*1 cup diced strawberries (more for garnish, if desired)
*3/4 cup unsalted butter (at room temp)
*2 Tbsp heavy cream
*2-3 cups powdered sugar
1. In tje bowl of an electric mixer, or using a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add strawberries, heavy cream, and 2 cups powdered sugar until well mixed and at the right consistency for frosting. If needed, gradually add in more powdered sugar to achieve the right consistency.
3. Frost cupcakes and garnish each one with a strawberry if you want!